Saturday, July 12, 2008

She Needs Computer Help

My friends down the street at the cafe are looking out for me. They know I'm single now and are excited to try and set me up with ladies.

Sarah, the girl who works at the cafe calls me and says, "Get down here, there's a cute girl that needs help with her computer, she can't get on the network."

"You're joking."

"No, I'm serious and she looks smart."

I had just parked my car very far away...the urban dilemma....and it was muggy outside, but I buck up and go to the cafe all sweaty.

I knew exactly who she was when I walked in. She had blue eyes and long dark hair. Dressed in a t-shirt and jeans and spunky. Sarah introduces me to Elena.

We start working on her computer and it looks like she's having a firewall issue. "Do you do this a lot?" she asks. I wonder if she smells the rat.

"Once in a while the employees are scared to reboot the router so I do it for them. I'm friends with the owner," I tell her.

We had to let her system reboot and it was an old computer so it gave me time to talk. She's a psychiatrist, ten years younger than me and only in the United States until the end of August when she goes back to South America.

I'm not ready for a relationship since I don't want it to be a rebound, but I could use an affair del fuego with someone...get intense in her heart and soul and in six weeks we're both crying our eyes out at the airport since the affair would be over with.

She asks me about music and the type of psychiatry she practices I'm familiar with so I suggest a writer who has studied a similar field. Then, we can't figure out her computer problem but end up talking for another 45 minutes. She ends up knowing my work, which is a big plus, and we set a date to hang out again.

Sarah said she watched the body language of Elena change when I sat with her...she became relaxed and very open and was totally into me.

On Tuesday I go to the cafe to meet Elena at 2pm. I'm working and then the clock strikes 3pm. I only have her email address, so I send her a note that I'm at the cafe and if I got the time wrong. 4pm roles by. People I know in the cafe know that I'm waiting for a girl because I couldn't stop bragging about it to everyone I was so excited.

I leave. Stood up. By the woman who was going to get naked with me and I was going to take to dinner and karaoke.

At around 8pm I get an email from her that she had the wrong time with her professor at her school and was stuck on campus and didn't have my phone number and she was really sorry and wanted to hook up again.

My affair del fuego is back in action.

I go drinking with a friend from Australia, then drinking some more and at 2am I get on the computer, which should have a breathilizer, and write her an email. I tell her that I really want to spend a lot of time with her and since her time in the United States is so short it's really important that we hang out a lot...yeah, I went there.

The neon sign that says desperate just clicked on over my head.

The rest of the day I walked with my shoulders slumped knowing I ruined my chance to see Elena naked, a lot.

No comments: